card header iconLooking at a Two Year Community College Degree or Certificate Program?

If your son or daughter is considering a community college after high school they may want to consider one of the following options.

Students can either complete an Associate Degree, Certification Program or both.  Students must complete the General Breadth Requirements as well as the technical/vocational foundation needed for the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degree. Students pursuing the Associate degree normally must complete a minimum of 60 college units.  Certificate programs develop skills and knowledge in a technical or occupational specialty.  The certificate programs course of study remains in the specialty area.  The Certificates of Achievement and Skills Certificates are not equivalent to an Associate Degree.  However, students may complete both requirement and earn both a degree and certification.  Students who have completed an ROP class in high school should review the courses in the Regional Occupational Program section of the catalog.  Many ROP courses give community college units.  

Students can also earn an AA degree and transfer to a 4 year college or follow a 4 year transfer plan without earning a degree.  Whatever your decision, it is a good idea to speak to a college academic adviser.